View Single Post
Old 08-07-17, 05:00 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Frankly I would postpone this trip to a later date and warmer weather. I might plan a trip in November but I live just about a mile or two from the Montour Trail which is part of the GAP. I can change my plans at a moments notice. But I wouldn't be planning this is I had to travel.

November 25th you have a really good chance of getting snow in the Laurels. The issue with snow on the GAP is that it can really turn the trail to mush. As long as the trail is frozen you should be ok but if thinks warm up a bit then you will have problems.

And you mentioned Ann Arbor. Not sure if you ever experienced a lake effect snow storm but conditions along the lake can be brutal for several hundred miles from the lake front. and you will need to deal with Erie, Huron and Michigan. Cleveland is only 130 miles from here and they get a lot more snow than we do. Erie, PA gets it bad too and the storms stretch as far south as I80 only 100 miles or so form here. The lakes don't usually get snow till late December early January but you could still get one in late November.
Doesn't sound so rosy. :0 Thanks Spinnaker, I was thinking you'd know a lot about this trip. Still plugging it in for now, and will have to fully commit at a certain point. If need be I could ride roads. What about typical summertime retail, food, and lodging? Do they stay open in the fall?

Edit - I didn't see Timothy and Altair's comments - thank you. That is helpful information.

I really don't mind riding in the cold or snow, as long as I'm not riding all day and camping in it at night (or if the snow accumulates, as I can't seem to stay upright!). So, although I normally camp to save $$, I think this trip will need to involve a heater (and indoors)!

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 08-07-17 at 05:19 PM.