Old 08-17-17, 04:44 PM
TexLex100

Bikes: Kona Wheelhouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
This is why I don't think it's a $500 bike - it's not ready to ride. If it were clean and you could be reasonably confident that it was really ready to adjust bars/saddle and ride, that would be a different case. This bike needs to be fully disassembled and cleaned and lubed. The shop will charge $120 for the tune up, but in my experience that won't include disassembly and cleaning. The tires look to be in decent shape, but if not, that's an expense that'll need to be accounted for. The Brooks saddle also looks like it has a weird sag. I notice that in the ad there's no closeup of the saddle; why not?

I also see 7 cogs in back, and in the photo of the chainrings it looks like the big ring is a 53. Also, what brifters are those? I think these are cool bikes, and I think there were substantially overbuilt so I don't doubt their sturdiness. But I don't see a big demand for them, and if you check the sold listings on eBay complete bikes seem to go for well less than this. Anyway, hopefully someone who's actually bought and sold a few of this will come along and correct me.

Save
This is really useful. I love the simplicity of the vintage bikes compared to the newer ones (including mine!). But I guess without adequate knowledge of bikes mechanics and without personal knowledge of the seller I should steer clear. Would you trust vintage bikes sold at a LBS? Or is it the same uncertainty?