Old 08-19-17, 02:28 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
It didn’t last very long.

Not long ago I told some of you about my neighbor giving up his car and buying two electric three wheeled scooters. The neighbor had a relatively new Mazda wagon/hatchback. I went over to visit as he transferred his car to one of his nieces and took delivery of the scooters. The plan was he would use the scooters for grocery shopping and medical appointments. He also planned on getting a solar charger to keep the scooter batteries up. After two weeks he posted that he was looking for a ride to the organic food store and a trip to the local DYI store. I and some other neighbors have stepped up and offered to take him to some of the special needs stores when he needs it. That lasted about six weeks. Yesterday he came over to let me know he bought a used Toyota pickup truck. It is small and gets pretty good mileage. The engine and drive train are in good order and it only needs some minor body work.
He decided it was too inconvenient to ride the scooters for shopping and DYI projects plus going to the nursery for supplies for his vegetable garden. When I first moved here before I started cycling I thought about getting a LSV like a Gem to do what he wanted to do with the scooters. I still might someday but I now realize people still seem to need a way of getting out of the elements to be comfortable. To preempt a question, no mass transit isn’t an option. But six weeks seems like a pretty short time for someone that had been planning for so long to go car free to toss in the hat.