Old 08-23-17, 07:27 PM
hodgykins 

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Tri-Color" Paramount, 1991 Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I am giving the new Gran Fondo a chance. I honestly think they did an awesome job, not perfect, but really what is. I rode all 3 rides and they got better each event. Yes, the Dare was lacking in many ways compared to the amazing event of the past, but I honestly believe the spirit is there to become an elite ride. Like all good things they take time, and those that succeed learn from the past failures.

My take for what it is worth:

1. This Dare was by far my favorite route. The ride was equally has tough as years past (10,500ft of climb over 200k), but far more scenic than past rides

2. The rest stops were filled with awesome folks, but lacking for the the loop stop (ran out of just about any fuel), but the folks there were awesome and 1 guy was handing our beef, another pretzels and peanut butter. I give them an A+ for effort, pride and dedication to helping.

3. Mile 112 rest stop abandoned at 4:30 and left many bikers without water. This is a huge F, but I am sure that will be addressed. Huge efforts were made on this ride, it showed, but one has to rely on others and these folks failed. Such is life, if we were all so perfect!

4. In person registration sucked, can we help make it better? Let's do it!

5. After ride activities...sucked, can we help to make it better? Let's do it!

I see opportunity here, and I for one am not ready to give up yet. I love this ride, and think it is the perfect showcase for Classic & Vintage, and our opportunity to cash in on much needed help.

Count me in for next year, and I think we are making a mistake if we leave now when the opportunity for us is at it height!

Thoughts?