Old 08-25-17, 12:32 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
[QUOTE=badmother;19816616]The bolt is important to you for your trips so maybe bring a spare?[\QUOTE]

Good point. Radical Design offers a short steel cable to get you home when the hitch fails. It goes around the plastic coupler. If I were to put one I should plan on circumventing all potential points of failure including rubber hose. In the forthcoming travel, I would be just riding from railway station to lodging on outskirts of town so if everything failed I would just call a cab or board a tram. I know the area and it will be uphill - good for testing the riding with a trailer.

Originally Posted by badmother
And if your bike is stolen you can keep traveling by buss or train . not so easy with a Carry Freedom Y trailer and some others.

I think my friend is going to several dealers if possible. He was interested in the Andersen himself so I am lucky that way. I recently pointed him in the direction of a Strida and he is into gadgets so he may be riding around German towns looking for Andersen dealers and want the Andersen as a trailer for the Strida- or maybe to see if the Andersen bags can be used with his Carry Freedom City trailer.
If your friend finds any gold lode of an Andersen dealer please share it with us. A trip here and there can be skewed for a still to be determined one or another irrefutable reason.

This is what I am investegating now. A hitch is weight and also money spent. For short travels I just loosely wrap a nylon webbing (can also use welcro) around handle on the Trolly and rear of the rack. If rack is squarish in the tubes (like on the B) a piece of some sort of padding can be good or sandpaper the corners.
I still have to gain a general comfort of riding with a trailer. I loaded the BF suitcase pretty heavily in testing the hitch and the suitcase hardly bothered me in riding.

Edit: On the lower hitch on the B. I have some times installed the hitch upside down to deal with the height problem. Not easy with the hitch you are using now. You could send your wife on a short holyday and when se is away you drill new holes in the trailer further forward of the present ones- so you can slide the suitcase further back on the frame...
It is the issue of compromise between ability to ride and walk with a trailer and/or to mount it higher, right? Radical Design put their axle closer to the center of gravity of the loaded trailer, but they use larger wheels and their Chubby trailer is more square-like ao you can still tip it up a bit without rubbing the other end against the ground.

Regarding the other issue, hmm..., it is even more complicated - I need to drill the holes in the new suitcase, less than a year old . As the groundwork I suppose I will clean up some of my messes during the forthcoming weekend, wash bikes etc. I should not to be too eager doing that, so as not to raise immediate suspicions. The drilling needs to be revealed as close to my departure as possible, but to make it right the first time I will need to spread out to get the measurements right and it is not easy to conceal that. At the end I am sure that I will learn that I am not suitable to have a family, though. The bills for all the hitch parts, hoses etc. will drip down over time, so that is less of an immediate concern