View Single Post
Old 08-27-17, 01:46 PM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trike Questions

I just had my 3rd back surgery and I will need a 4th one at some point-months or a year or two. I've had fusion at L4-5 and will have to have fusion or disc replacement at L2-3, Also have had or will have three laminectemys, herniated disc and bulged disc. I plan on continuing riding my road bikes but I was thinking doing base, endurance miles on the reclined tadpole trike which provides lot of back support being in a reclined position would be a good idea. The road bikes don't seem to hurt my back or I am not aware they do. I ride 10 hours a week and do a lot of the riding on a Wahoo Kickr following TrainerRoad. I would do the harder workouts on the road bike or do a group ride on the road bike and endurance miles on the trike. I am looking at the Catrike Dumont and ICE Sprint 26 X FS. Both full suspension trikes. The ICE, especially with the hardshell seat, has a much lower seat angle. Great for cutting through the wind, but also I would think better for my back being in a more reclined position. The worse position for the lower spine is sitting upright in a chair. I don't sit upright on my road bike but in a reasonably aggressive forward position with hips rotated forward.

Seat Angle
Dumont-42degree SA
ICE 35 or 28 degree SA depending on mesh or hardshell seats

Full Suspension
I assume riding on my fairly rough roads the FS would work better than a Cat 700 or Expedition w/o suspension?

Any input on FS, SA, hardshell seats or general thoughts?