Old 08-28-17, 08:28 PM
lmike6453

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikepacking Bike: Spend $400 or <$5,000? Goals listed inside

I am just getting into bikepacking as an avid hiker and backpacker and feel that I will like this more. I just bought a $700 Diamondback Trace Sport on sale for $400 2 weeks ago and am thinking that I might regret keeping it:
(please google the link because I cannot paste urls yet)

- 700c 28&quot; tires, 45mm
- 3x8 gearing which is really clunky and annoying
- Cheapo Front suspension fork with lockout
- 32 lbs

I have 2 weeks to return it and the decision making is driving me crazy! It works for paved surfaces ok but one limitation so far is the gear shift cables are exposed on the downtube, preventing mounting a downtube bag to hold water. No real budget, just trying to be smart with money...

Goals:

- To be able to ride on paved surface trails at a good speed / low rolling resistance (80% of riding)
- Handle gravel and dirt roads, and single track rough terrain like roots / logs / rocks / mud (20% of riding)
- Open to the idea of no front suspension fork
- Something to take on 3 day bikepacking adventures
- 30-50 mile day trips
- 29 inch wheels? you tell me, idk if it's worth it
- No pannier setup in favor of bikepacking bags

So should I keep it for paved trails and roads, and buy a second dedicated bike for rougher terrain? Or get one really nice bike that can dabble in both?

TIA!
Mike

EDIT:

I finally figured it out which bike and bought the...

2018 Niner RLT9 Steel 3 Star

RLT 9 STEEL 3-STAR RIVAL

I hope this thread helps others that may read it in the future and lessons learned throughout talking to many people, including you guys here are:

- Frame materials: Alu vs Carbon vs Steel. This helped me narrow it down to a steel bike for comfort / compliance / durability / can hold more weight.
- Geometry: is so important. I knew nothing, and now I know something about it. Start by learning head tube angles and reach.
- Handlebars: generally one wants drop bars only for multiple hand positioning on a long ride.
- Drivetrain: learn about what's on the market today, and put the info in gear-calculator.com to see the range. Front chain rings can easily be swapped out.
- Weight matters, kind of. Total bike weights seem to be 20-25lbs but more importantly, look at rotational mass (and weight) of the wheels and tire tread.
- Road bikes are too unstable (skinny tires) and not as durable as a gravel bike, and are limited to terrain. Gravel bikes seem to be more versatile since one can swap tires out.
- But gravel bike's trade off is a bit of speed if the terrain is all smooth paved roads / trails.

With that being said, I have chose the Niner RLT9 Steel 3 star because:

- Not just steel, but high quality Reynolds 853 steel.
- Not just good geometry, but amazing geometry.
- Mid range drivetrain SRAM Rival components.
- Great hydraulic disc brakes.
- 22.6lbs for an "adventure gravel bike" is in the great range for being steel.
- 35mm tires seem like a good starting point for the width and tread that is on them. Tubeless out of the box.
- Thru axles rather than quick release axles.
- Lots of cage mount / boss mount points for bikepacking / adventure. Including one for my top tube bag so it doesn't sway around anymore!

Again, thank you all for your help! I am actually exciting to receive this bike soon vs the others, and greatly appreciate your typing effort to assist me! I will update my OP.

-Mike

Last edited by lmike6453; 10-01-17 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Found which bike to buy.