Old 08-29-17, 10:41 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The reason for the intersection as designed, is cyclists! Cyclists are obsessed with being right hooked. The road as designed puts right turning cars to the right of cyclists. Of course they have to cross over on the dashed section. If a cyclist and/or car cannot negotiate that part of the compromise then, IMO neither one should be on the road. Your solution involves tech, and who is going to willingly pay for that when stripes on the road are cheap, and all that is then required is some common sense and road competency. I'm sorry, there is nothing to your concerns. I navigate a corner like that every single morning. Its a non-issue for me. I don't speak for everyone but I just don't think the solution is to force cities to spend millions accommodating the needs of a few thousand cyclists. I really can see the day coming when everyone simply says "enough! Bicycles are henceforth restricted to parks, Greenways and MUP's". Don't have one nearby? Sucks to be you. Ride the bus. Better yet, grow up and get a car like a responsible adult!
I think you're are missing the fact that cars on the center line are also illegally turning right and crossing the bike lane. The other inexpensive options would be to put a sign to prevent right turning from the center lane and to ticket the cars that do. Once you have enough money from tickets, buy the tech