Old 09-02-17, 06:19 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
When I thought I might get serious about bikes, I immediately struck a deal with my grandson to purchase new skateboard stuff in trade for my old Crosscut (I purchased new in 1990) that he'd had for three years. I went after it because I knew I'd ridden it off and on for so many years, there was history (had it shipped to me in Japan, carried it aboard ship, rode it on foreign soils, etc), and frankly, the bike fit thing had me initially stymied. Being a diy'r and mechanically inclined (which is different than being a mechanical genius it turns out) I reasoned I could get it on the road cheaper and quicker than trying to buy a new bike (sometimes the voice of reason isn't...it's some other voice). So in January this year (staring a Century challenge in the face in early May), the project began...what fun sorting through and picking the pieces to get it on the road. Recalling my younger hot rodding days and the wasted money on bling, I resolved to only purchase/change things that increased performance, reliability, or comfort...so frankenbike (a tool) returned to the road in February almost new end to end, but with original factory paint and decals plus years of battle scars. I can't remember hearing "nice bike", but accept the substitutes of "old school", "steelie", and "I wish I still had my Crosscut". I'm on the fence about "nice wheels"...LOL. Could I have bought a better bike for that $1000? For my purposes, I doubt it--and I'd have missed putting it together myself.

Noting I have since purchased a Domane, but frankenbike remains in ready standby as that bike that will do it all at any time, just add rider...maybe some touring bags?

Last edited by Stormsedge; 09-02-17 at 06:23 AM.