Old 09-03-17, 08:53 AM
RChung

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
Available, open access. My take on it is that you can specifically target one of the many variables involved but in the end the central nervous system apparently takes in all the variables and makes whatever adjustments it deems to be necessary)...

Effects of Pedal Speed and Crank Length on Pedaling Mechanics during Submaximal Cycling
PAUL RICHARD BARRATT1,2, JAMES C. MARTIN3, STEVE J. ELMER4, and THOMAS KORFF1
You should give a link:
http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/pa...sktopMode=true

This is a companion piece to a paper by the same authors from a few years ago which looked at pedal speed and crank length during MAXIMAL cycling (that is, sprinting). In that paper, they looked at crank lengths from 150mm up to 190mm. That paper was, itself, a variation on a paper written by one of the co-authors (Jim Martin) in 2001 where he looked at maximal output over a range of crank lengths from 120mm up to 220mm. All three of these studies taken together are, as Jim Martin has said to me, "liberating." He concludes that they mean you can choose whatever crank length you want, that makes you feel best, for whatever reason you want, without fear that it will compromise your power. Basically, it means if you like your cranks and want to use them, you can tell everyone else to go to hell.

I like that kind of conclusion.