View Single Post
Old 09-04-17, 04:56 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Saturday (9/2) was century #7 for the year. At 140 miles, it was my longest ride to date (the previous mark was 120 miles), so I'm happy about that. Also, my tally is well-ahead of any other year, as I haven't previously surpassed 3.

I rode the first 22 miles with some friends at a relaxed pace (16 mph average) and the remaining 118 with a much stronger group, at a faster pace (20 mph average).

I don't do many true distance rides, and I found the 140 mile ride challenging - particularly owing to leg cramps. I am very susceptible to them and I can usually keep them at bay with electrolyte supplements (endurolytes), but they came and went with varying severity from miles 90-140. Leg cramps are a bit of a mystery. Some people I know never get them.
Yes, leg cramps can be a real mystery. I've found that when I have been suffering them, on the insides of the inner thighs, it's more down to lack of adequate training over the distances I'm riding. That is, as a season progresses, the susceptibility to cramps reduces substantially.

Congrats also on being so much further head of previous years with the century tally.