View Single Post
Old 09-14-17, 04:49 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
So we have 175# @ 25psi tubeless, working good. Tire width? I guess we'll assume 33.

You're feeling the rim but not burping. Can we also keep foldover in the picture? I'm trying to see how that fits w PSI.

As I've said, I'm 175 and use a pump reading of 30 on my sweet 33mm tubies and I feel the rim and feel cornering sidehill smush but I don't get foldover. So far, tho, when I try 25 things get crazy and I start losing control due to excess smush. So far I only get foldover w 30mm tires at low pressure. With 33mm tires I get bad smush before I get foldover. I think...

But, again, my pump's "30psi" might be anything...

I wonder if there's some other way we can estimate what PSI we're getting. A CX pro friend just uses his thumb. He's quite a bit skinnier than me. I think he's testing to see if he can push his thumb down to the rim. Maybe we could all try that! : )
Yea 33s, I don't think you'll get a fair comparison between tubeless/clincher/tubular though, they have very different parameters in terms of design. Most tubeless tires have a stiffer sidewall so you will get less foldover at the same psi as a tubular. clinchers are all over the place in terms of stiffness.