Old 09-18-17, 08:38 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dayco
Many, who've been cycling for years, feel comfortable on the roads. Fine. For others, riding the roads is just too great of a risk. Those of you who work in the cycling and tourist industries might have a stake in seeing bicycle ridership increase. You also might have a stake in having a large, healthy, long-living cliental.

I can understand the hardcore cyclist solely using the roads. But that's not most people. IMO, to most people, roads are inherently unsafe, to be avoided. I can see a bicycle becoming the vehicle of choice for many more people with a safe, dedicated, exclusive trail/path system.
I could likewise argue those that will only ride if they can use trails are probably the ones whose bike comes out of the garage twice a year, i.e. folks that even if you build trails are not going to use them. As much as it pains me to say it, for those types of people you are describing, there are plenty of lazy parks to ride in. Even around here, many of the trails interconnect to one another using roads, and people that do like trails have no problem riding those roads between them. I like trails when they go where I want to go, and wouldn't mind seeing a strong regional trail system, but for the most part roads are more practical over long stretches of less inhabited area.

And yes, if bike infrastructure becomes visible for them (not even prevalent, but simply visible), there will inevitably be legislation pushed for that restricts bikes from roads. It would really end up punishing people that actually cycle regularly in hopes of getting a few more people out the door a couple times a year.