View Single Post
Old 09-23-17, 04:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Every hardware store in my community has a nice selection of stainless steel metric bolts, nuts and washers. As noted above, you could measure your old ones or you could just bring your old ones with you to make sure you get the right ones.

When I say hardware store, I mean stores like Ace Hardware or True Value Hardware, they will sell you one bolt if you only want to buy one. Stores like Home Depot, they are more likely to want to sell you 20 bolts instead of one.

Most brake bolts come with a spot of blue stuff on the threads, that is some form of threadlocker intended to make sure they do not vibrate loose and unthread while you ride leaving you going down a hill with no brakes. You can buy blue loctite or one of their competitors products, put a drop or two on the threads when you first install them. The label on the threadlocker package should say that the bolt is removable later, not for permanent installation.

I would not want Ti bolts, stainless steel is stronger and I want strong bolts on my brakes.