Old 01-01-06, 05:39 PM
fruitless
In Transition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by islenska
I know I am in the minority here, but I think the Poprad is dumpy.

Why do you care about stiffness/responsiveness if most of your riding is commuting? Seems to me that you should be more concerned with comfort and durability. Also, seriously, what is the point of discs on a cx bike? I suppose if you are commuting in the rain alot then they would be nice, but otherwise they are pretty unnecessary and, imho, a pain in the butt. What is the rear spacing on the poprad disc, 135? If it is, that means that you'll always be stuck dealing with with that -- another pain in the butt.

But honestly...if you are just commuting, steel is probably the way to go. Sorry.
I'm trying to think of all the places you could commute where it never rains. . .and anyone that has ever set up a pair of canti brakes knows the true definition of "pain in the butt". Avid mechanicals are a cinch to install and adjust, the only penalty is weight. I only know of 2 disc specific rear freehubs that are 130 spaced so 135 rear frame spacing makes total sense. I think Discs are ideal for commuters and anyone that has ridden them in freezing conditions knows how superior they are.

But I agree the Poprad is dumpy.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PAFA.html