Old 09-27-17, 10:48 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Surely Tern couldn't argue that because their hinge bolt is also rubbish we aren't going to replace your dangerously weak frame.
The hinge bolt isn't rubbish; mine never gave trouble in the 4,000 miles I had on the original frame. In hindsight, the bolt design included a stress riser, but my feeling is that in some frames the upper and lower bolts weren't perfectly coaxial, which led to their eventual failure. There were apparently not enough of the bolt failures to warrant a recall. Of course, the current design doesn't have that weakness.

What I was suggesting was that if the frame in question was recalled for the weld problem, a new frame would likely be provided. The hinge bolt problem on its own would be a warranty issue and wouldn't apply to a re-sold bike, unfortunately.

The frame weld problem and the bolt problem were probably independent; who knows? If the latch assembly was welded to the frame after the bolt holes were bored, there might have been thermal distortion. I'm not privy to the details of manufacture. The hinge problems have been a real black eye for Tern, and hopefully these eventually will be a distant memory. I have confidence that their products' reputation will get back to where is should have been all along.
Steve