Old 09-27-17, 10:25 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...there are at least two shops that are dedicated to their sales and service already here in Sacramento, and this is before the entry of the Yamaha e-bikes. There are enough of them on the street here currently that they are already a little problematic in terms of the users riding them at 20-23 mph in the narrow on street bike lanes here.

I have no idea of the situation where you live.

The problem I foresee already is that they allow people with little bicycle handling skill or experience in city traffic to take to the road and instantly go pretty fast...less time to react, and the inability to see problems developing in advance will inevitably lead to an increase in injuries.

OTOH, they will make bicycle commuting a more realistic option for people in the far suburbs and exurbs here.

What I like about the idea is it will make it possible for more people to get involved with cycling. I have two pure road bikes, a old steel Peugeot and a MTB. Thought I had all the bases covered. Then I tore a tendon in my foot and it hurt to ride. Had to get inserts for my shoes and take it easy for months. If I would have had a E-bike with assist I would have stayed with my friends and done a lot more miles by bike than I did. The flats aren't what bothered me it was long hills. Can't be done without serious pushing and that would have stretched my tendon. I have been looking at a Raleigh E-assist with a 40+ mie range depending on how much pedaling I do. Like I said they can only get better with more people getting involved. I think I would love a fat wheeled MTB with e-assist.