Old 09-28-17, 01:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by FamilyMan007
My experience was different - at Toronto airport apparently they could not 'scan' items as big as a bike box so they made me open it up for security examination before they accepted the bag as luggage (and they asked about tire pressures, but did not check them)!!

I guess there are many variables when it comes to flights overseas with a bike

Yeah. In Philadelphia, where I live, they didn't seem to have the large scanners the last time I flew with a bike, which was in 2013, so they opened the boxes for the flight to Venice. Venice, on the other hand, did have large scanners. For the flight back home they sent our bikes through while we stood there. One security lady literally gave us a signifying we were good to go.

When I travel for domestic tours I ship my bike. Flying with it is a PITA and expensive. For a little more than what some airlines charge for a bike, I can have the bike professionally packed, ship it and have it assembled at the destination. Inside the box also go my racks, stove and empty fuel bottle. (Those last two can be confiscated if discovered in your checked airline baggage.)