Old 09-28-17, 03:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Even if you assume the front brake provides the majority of braking power . . . (and I think 95% is a vast overstatement) . . . the rear still contributes additional power. If you want to stop/slow as quickly as possible and under control, using both brakes is the way to do that.

Lots of studies have been done for motorcycle racing where, for decades, racers bragged of using ONLY the front brake. Every study indicates that using both brakes is better -- and by a significant margin.
Both MC and bicycles can be brought to a point where 100% of the braking power is off the front brake. You see it when folks stunt and do front wheel wheelies balancing on the front wheel with the rear off the ground.

At that point the rear brake no longer matters, but before that it can be brought to where it ALMOST doesn't matter, (before it lifts) leaving some margin for error, especially since most people aren't stunt riders. So, I used 95% as a point of reference, but it can be anywhere shy of 100% depending on the rider's skill in balancing braking force.

As I mentioned, in an emergency maximum effort stop, the rear brake doesn't help, but using it helps by providing feedback and an early warning of impending tip. So we agree on the principles involved, and can skip debating the finer points.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.