Old 09-29-17, 11:47 AM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pickettt
This is the pertinent piece of information. Regardless of the characteristics of the raw materials, as it pertains to bicycles, steel frames are more compliant than aluminum frames.
I remember reading that an aluminum frame purely designed to meet strength requirements would result in portions of the frame being so thin that it would dent very easily so the frame ends up being overbuilt and stiff. But aluminum will fatigue. And both will oxidize.

I think there are some misconceptions about CF. Compared to steel and aluminum, CF can be made much stronger and impact resistant than either. Just consider how much CF is used in the aerospace industry. I have seen CF helicopter rotor blades take a bird strike where a softball size hole was punched into the blade and the helo landed safely. Plus the blade was repaired and returned to service. Compare those forces to what a bike frame would see.

I understand CF bike frames are not made to the same standards as helo blades, just offering my perspective on what CF is capable of.

The other attractive quality of CF is that it doesn't fatigue. Also if the paint is intact, UV degradation is not an issue. A well built CF bicycle should have a service life that is much longer than the person riding it.