View Single Post
Old 10-03-17, 05:43 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: '18 Redline Zander MTB, '14 Surly Pugsley, '97 Trek MultiTrack 750, '70 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 299 Posts
Your cycling environment (bumpy off road) and stated desires (fast with thin tires) may not go together well. Shorter rides on bumpy surfaces seem like the perfect application for a suspension fork. I have two hybrids that I ride regularly, one with a suspension fork and one with a rigid fork. I enjoy both for different reasons. The one with the suspension fork is supremely comfortable, and I enjoy it for that. The one with the rigid fork feels more connected to the road and feels faster (even though my average speed on both bikes is similar), and I enjoy it for that. It's hard to get it all in one bike, especially at the price we're paying for entry to mid-level hybrids.

Have you had an opportunity to ride your top choices yet? I would do that -- go to your bike shops and ride what they have. Ride as many bikes as you can and keep your mind open to suggestions they might have for you. It may be a mountain style bike that is best for you. You can get a lot of comfort for your trails on a rigid mountain bike with 27.5" tires (584mm rims), vs. the 28" tires (622mm rims) found on most hybrids.