View Single Post
Old 10-10-17, 12:06 PM
joedab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing Italian crankset

I recently posted preliminary efforts to repair damaged shell threads of an italian frame, and in trying to make headway, I realized the need to test ride the bike along with soliciting the help of a frame builder. To this end, I need to replace the crank which recently broke and probably also the bottom bracket. The existing bottom bracket, being a modest 70x107mm is not wide enough to accommodate a spare non-italian crank which also bottoms out on the spindle. In my perusal of available cranksets, those for sale do not seem to specify the taper standard as ISO or JIS, and a search on ebay for 'italian crankset' returns scant results. Given I haven't had to replace an italian crank before, this has me convinced I must be missing a critical spec to ensure compatibility with a given bottom bracket. Although, since I have an old non-italian crankset sufficient for testing, perhaps I simply need to find an italian-threaded bottom bracket with a wider spindle and JIS taper, though not sure if such a part exists because the listings again do specify little about the taper.

Last edited by joedab; 10-10-17 at 12:21 PM.