View Single Post
Old 10-14-17, 04:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by higgins617
Two Bianchis with 8 speed Mirage. 75 bucks for the pair, on my way and seller gave them to a neighbor. had to settle instead for an Eros with a broken rear mech for 100
I've had a few flaky sellers.
  1. Mini Lathe. I was struggling to figure out how to haul it home on my bike, but getting ready to go pick up half of it when I heard that the seller's wife sold it, apparently not realizing that the husband had committed it.
  2. Bike Friday. I didn't really need it, but I think it was offered for about $300 which was too low to pass up. Apparently the seller decided not to sell it.
  3. Peugeot PX-10. Pretty battered. Poor photos, but offered for $75. Seller responded to about 1/4 of my e-mails (which I sent several). Sent a note that we should meet, but never gave me a phone number, or a meeting place. A few days later, a bike flipper had snagged the bike, and offered it back on Craigslist for $300+. Apparently it had some Campy, perhaps Nuovo Record bits. It was so frustrating of an experience that I just let it go. I just hope he paid the full asking price for the bike when he bought it.
  4. Oh, then there was a Garmin 810 up in Portland. About $100 or so, I think. It is about 150 miles away by bike... but I was heading up there. Unfortunately, the week or so I was up in Portland, the seller was out of town, and then returned back to town the day after I left. And, of course, it is too complicated to get someone to hold something until my next trip up there.
  5. An older Trek Carbon Fiber frame, forgot the model, for $50, I think. Anyway, I often give a person a "tip" if I think it is undervalued. We agreed to meet. I was on my bike with my trailer, and about 8 miles down the road when I got a text from the seller that someone had offered him more, so he sold it.
  6. I have another local seller that I've contacted recently for some odds and ends. He replies... slowly. So far no phone number. Suggests we can meet, but without a time or place. I've been in and out quite a bit this last week, but probably could have swung by to snag it a couple of times, if only I had the proper contact info. We'll see what happens.