View Single Post
Old 10-15-17, 08:44 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Well it doesn't help that for whatever reason all these amateur cycling weight weenies cream their jeans over low spoke-count wheels, when in fact unless you're in a race where you're very close to winning an extra 4 spokes or whatever will not make a lick of difference in your riding, but could make a very big difference in the strength, stability, and longevity of the wheels.

A clyde running on 24/28 wheels is just a clyde who's going to be in the market for new wheels sooner or later. That same clyde on 32/32 wheels, or 32/36 or even 36/36 could probably ride those wheels practically forever, barring accidents, and assuming common sense maintenance practices. And what real advantage are any of us non-racers going to get from 24/28 over 32/32? Is it going to keep you from getting dropped by your group? If that's the margin you're counting on, you need work in other areas.

I'm building up a wheelset for my new bike that will be 36/36, and that's for a bike that's actually coming with a decent wheelset that will be 32/32. I have no doubt the 32/32 wheels would last me quite well. The 36/36 will be better. And really, what practical performance loss will I see going an extra 4 spokes? Nothing. The aerodynamic difference is probably less than I'd see just losing 5 pounds and lowering the cross-sectional area of my body that generates wind resistance as I ride.