Old 10-17-17, 06:36 AM
WillBradley1

Bikes: Sid Standard Superbe (1981) - Benotto Modello 1700 Pista (1976) - DBS damesykkel (1960)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Downsizing tyre for low pressure straight rims?

Hey there,

I've had a problem with some old straight edge 26" 1 3/8 wheels on a 1960 DBS damecykel... Even riding on super low pressure and carefully centred, the bead of the tyre pops out regularly. It doesnt seem dangerous, I dont notice until I inspect it, but finally it ripped the bead of my rear (very cheap) tyre and its toast.

I know Im stupid riding on these ancient rims for my 25min commute everyday... But its my temporary bike while I restore my main road bike (and ideally until after winter)... Its not meant to be high performance bike... I fancy just keeping the original rims and I cant afford any major changes right now anyway so I was thinking whether just buying 26" 1 1/2 tyres could be a solution?

According to sheldon brown my 26 1 3/8 rims have a 590 mm, 26 1 1/2 tyres are 584 mm. I feel a 6mm tight fit could be perfect to keep them seated?

Anyone have any experience with interchanging tyre sizes? I used to have some road bike tyres that were there right size but near impossible to get on, Im almost feeling 6mm isnt much and I could get away with more? But really I have no idea!

Thanks