View Single Post
Old 10-18-17, 06:12 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Every large guy likes to self categorize themselves as a "sprinter" , but for many that term is a crutch which not so secretly means - "I don't have the fitness to hang in a mass start race "
Now that's an interesting one. The season before I really decided to just do sprinting, I was actually a very good B grade club road rider. For one of the club champs rounds on our hilliest course (not that hilly by many standards) I was there for the final bunch sprint. I was also doing really well on the track in all disciplines (I was club A grade for a couple of years already). The real problem is my size. When pace is constant I could hang in fine, but when thing were surging constantly, I was out. Then there is my height size where when the little guys hunker down, I'm still sitting a foot or so above them in profile. I have to work hard. We have lots of track carnivals over here with a good mix of short to medium length races. A long scratch race would be about 8km. I always batted above my grade in the short stuff, keirins, sprints etc. So a number of years ago I decided to have a go a sprinting with a coach. That was a failure, but a couple of years later (3yrs ago now) I came into contact with some really good helpful and fast guys and decided to have another go. What really surprised me was the fitness level that you really do need to be a decent sprinter!

What brought me to HFLC was one of those helpful guys that was doing the research for his own purposes. Basically it went "for how much work you do, you just shouldn't be that fat/heavy. Maybe you're carb intolerant, it's a thing". So I looked into it myself and read through stuff from Tim Noakes on banting. I had nothing to lose so I did it. Two years before that I also tried the 5 and 2 diet. I lost 10kg in 10 weeks on that, being my most successful dieting to that date, but the lifestyle didn't suit me, and so I rebounded back. I suffered performance drop on that diet and really had to plan my cycling workouts around the starve days. On the HFLC I ended up losing 17kg in a similar 10 week period. I suffered zero performance drop and rather got even faster. No doubting a part of that was the pure weight loss, but my performance definitely didn't suffer.

Originally Posted by DMC707
But what do you do about keeping up with your fiber consumption on a high fat lower carb approach ? Personally I have a stomach aversion to raw greens, but have no problem with them if they are cooked or utilized in a recipe or juiced --- but juicing them effectively removes the fiber benefit entirely
Initially I came to realise that I had an issue with too low fibre consumption So I had to go back to the dietary drawing board and introduce a lot more vegetables. The easy rule of thumb there is to only eat vegetables that grow above the ground. Take peas/beans/corn out of that list too as they are relatively high in carbs. My go to dinner has been zoodles (zucchini noodles). Start with a meat base of either bacon or chorizo, cook, throw in vegetables of choice for fibrous goodness, melt some cream cheese and stir through, throw in the zoodles and mix together and there's an excellent, easy, healthy dinner that even the rest of my family loves. Honestly the hardest part of any diet is eating different foods to the rest of the family. That is possibly part of the HFLC success for me, so much of what I eat, the rest of the family can enjoy also. I mainly do large cook ups of soups or a bake of some sort to take to work for lunches. That keeps the portion size down and stops grazing. Those are also very tasty and I have to keep an eye on the freezer because the rest of the family like to pilfer my ready made lunches