Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
What are the differences in performance, functionality and cost? Advantages and disadvantages of each? Is one quieter than the other?
Are you asking about road or mtb? Because in my experience, there is a difference in the performance of mechanicals in road vs mtb.

I find the difference between hydro and mechanical to be more noticable for road bike brakes than for mtb. I think the reason is that the shorter cable pull system on road bikes is not as good for mechanicals as the longer pull of mtb systems.

However, for either application, when things are working properly, hydros generally do feel and work better IMO.

As far as maintenance goes, I’ve used both for years, and overall I find mechanicals easier. More frequent fiddling, but it is quick and nothing is that hard to fix.

Hydro require basically zero maintenance.... until they do. I have found bleeding to be a pita at times if the bubble is in the caliper.

Long of the short is that I have never had to miss a day of riding or had to finish a ride with a failed brake with mechanicals. I can’t say the same for hydros.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-19-17 at 05:55 AM.