View Single Post
Old 10-20-17, 07:03 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
The frame is easy to protect. It's got paint on the outside, and it's sealed up pretty well. Like @dabac said, spray some WD-40 or similar in to the areas of the frame you can get to and call it good.

It's all the moving, unpainted parts that you will have to look after. One of the toughest things to do to a bike is to leave it outside. The best thing you can do to mitigate that is to use it regularly. Ride it once a week, or at least every other week, to give the moving parts some exercise. This will remove any corrosion / buildup before it can become a problem. Regular use will also alert you to potential issues, before they become breakdowns.

I had to leave my (then 10-yo) Cannondale MTB on a bike rack for a year, while I lived in student housing. It then spent 2 years on the patio of my condo, still out doors but under a roof, and behind a fence. On campus, I rode it several times a week, less so later. The needle bearings inside the Headshok did eventually seize up, and one of the gum-wall Conti tires did start splitting at the sidewall, but these were 10-year-old components, after 3-4 years outdoors, so they were well past their service life.
A new bike, for a year? Use it regularly, and keep it out of direct weather, as you can, and it should be fine.