Thread: New bike advice
View Single Post
Old 10-20-17, 09:45 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blueherring View Post
Hi,

I've been doing a short commute for a couple of years now (2 mile hilly round trip) on a Halfords Carrera Crossfire hybrid. This gave out on me so I'm looking for a good value replacement that will last me a while.

I liked the hybrid because some of the roads aren't the best and I also occasionally go cycling around the lanes, which I want to start doing more of.

I went to a bike shop where they showed me a Trek FX 3, which I liked but at 550 is at the top end of my budget. I'm quite tall, so they recommended the 25" frame.

Does anyone have any thoughts on alternative bikes that would be worth me looking at? The FX 2 seems a bit cheaper at 400, but are the carbon fork and Shimano Acera / Alivio vs. Shimano Tourney / Acera derailleurs worth the 150 to a limited cyclist like me?

I ruled out the more expensive disk brake version as I thought it was something I probably didn't really need, and that v-brakes would be easier/cheaper for me to maintain.

Any advice / alternatives would be appreciated.
If you have your heart set on Trek, I would say the extra money spent on the Fx 3 is worth it. Basically, you get a carbon fork, vs aluminum on the FX 2, and 9 speed drivetrain vs, 8 on the2. Nothing wrong with 8 speeds, but if you are talking about future proofing, might as well get the best you can afford.

I presume you are in the UK so there may be products there not available here, while products here might not be available there. Every major brand has a product similar to the Trek Fx2 and Fx3. What you choose is personal preference. Personally, I like riding something you don't see on every ride. Others want to go with a bike that is ubiquitous.