Old 10-20-17, 09:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 107 Posts
I've handled the various Lezyne mini pumps several times at the LBS. They're handsome pumps, beautifully engineered and feel like top quality. But there are a few design quirks that always put me off buying one. These would mostly be an issue with cold, wet hands. If you never encounter that situation, the Lezyne is more appealing because it looks damned good.

Both have extension hoses. That's a good thing. I wouldn't buy a portable pump without an extension hose. That was the only flaw with my old Zefal frame pump decades ago. Fortunately the Schrader valve on my old Motobecane was flexible and wouldn't break or bend under stress like a Presta.
  • The Lezyne extension hose is a separate piece that's stored inside the tube. It must be installed and removed with each use.
  • The Topeaks simply slide in and out. The only tricky bit is the minor adjustment for Schrader/Presta valves.
  • The Topeaks have rubbery grips. Again, better with cold, wet or sweaty hands. I've experienced that a few times in winter rides.
  • The Topeaks have rounded ends. You have put more pressure on those rounded ends against the base of the palm with less discomfort.

If I bought a Lezyne I'd add some heavy duty grip tape to the barrel. But the design -- with the removable hose rather than built in like the Topeak -- precludes modifying the barrel end to be more comfortable for bracing against the palm for more leverage.

But, dang, those Lezynes are good looking pumps. If I mostly used CO2 and only needed a pump as a backup, I'd probably go for the Lezyne.