OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
... I've had 3 since age of 27 and now almost 30 years later,
BTW - my comments are related to LOWER spine, not cervical area. I used to be 6' bare foot, at age 25. I'm now 5' 10 3/4". For me it's not just the 3 herniated ones, but also general compaction between all the lower vertebra, hence the efforts to work on flexibility. When I say 'Attacks', I mean Sciatica. at some point the muscles just say "I need a break!" and they go into spasm and constrict the Sciatic Nerve, which puts me absolutely flat for whatever time it takes to get the muscles to relax again.
Not surprisingly, I'm not as diligent as I should be. I've not investigated 'everything' that can possibly help; but what I do use seems to be working well.
I've noted that yoga enthusiasts who have spine problems say good things. The recent thread speaking of Power Yoga really piqued my interest and I hope to investigate a little further in a month or so. Not sure how that is different from 'regular' Yoga (assuming there are a number of variants to 'Yoga'?), but the whole area deserves some investigation. Any of youz, in the back club, doing yoga? Comments?
Also wanted to ask if anyone has used/uses inversion systems? I know it really is used for short periods and it just might be cool 'alchemy'; but anything that I can do to stave off/retart further compact would be great as aging continues. Any comments on 'Inversion Systems'?
I note one man in my gym, seemingly quite some years my senior - maybe late 70's/early80s?, who is obviously aflicted with serious spine issues. Yet he's there whenever I go. He works the machines, he rides stationary bikes - both recumbent and upright. He isn't the 'builder' type nor hangs around chatting. Just seems like a normal guy and goes around doing his workout. HE is a stud! as far as I'm concerned...
Been wanting to strike up a conversation and learn a little of his story; but have been too embarrassed to do it. I'm not quite sure what the right approach might be.
I'm sure a lot of people just see an old guy, one in not very 'body builder' form. But to me he's an inspiration. I hope I can be like him when I grow up...

Last edited by cyclezen; 01-03-06 at 11:39 AM.