Old 10-25-17, 08:42 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_galpal
Hey bike forumers...

i'm shopping for a frame, and i've been told to "reach higher". aesthetics are important to me, but I'm definitely not settling for less than double butted cromoly. i guess i'm wondering, how much better does it really get?

more specifically, if you i'm looking at 2 lugged steel frames with comparable tubesets (for example Columbus SL and Tange #2) ..... what more should i care about???

i do of course know that frames are made for different purposes, and i should figure out what geometry etc i want, also there is all the basic compatibility stuff. i'm looking at this from a perspective of sheer quality. i know people pay way too much for some italian frames. i want to know, is there a quality related reason to spend significantly more?

another specific question: branded tubesets like Fuji double butted cromoly, Bridgestone triple butted cromoly, how do these compare to tange, columbus etc? is that simply somewhat of an unknown?

i want something special, but if i like it and make it mine it will be special to me. i'm currently looking at an 86 bridgestone 400 for 150 (complete bike). can you convince me to spend more?

this paint job has me considering it, yet its 531 which seems a little behind triple butted cromoly.

i think more realistically i'd drop the cash on something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS....c100009.m1982

but is it really worth 250$ more?
The Peugeot at first glance appears to be the better frame, but I don't know the particular specs of that bike.

First of all "triple butted" is 98% marketing. It makes next to zero functional difference, but was a good way to make your bike sound better in the 80s and early 90s. There was also quadruple butted. Really, any top of the line seamless drawn double butted cromoly tubing (SL/SP/#1/#2 etc) or manganese/moly (531) is going to be functionally equivalent - if all else is equal.

Be careful though, as sometimes the stays and forks might be made of cheaper tubes. And 531 comes in straight or double butted. So a cheap frame might be 3 main frame tube straight gauge 531, and the rest of the bike hi ten steel. A top frame will be 531 double butted, frame, fork and stays. To the newbie they're both 531 frames, but one is a much better frame.

Columbus Gara is straight gauge chromoly. Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't as good or worth as much as their top of the line tubesets.

BTW Columbus SP is comparable to Tange #2. SL is closer to Tange #1. Both are the same quality, but SP and #2 are one gauge thicker. Stiffer and stronger but a little heavier.