Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17825 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 1,104 Posts
Originally Posted by newblue View Post
Very cool! Thank you.

Now I'm just wondering about the difference between Raleighs that are non-Workshop and those that are. But that might be a topic for another thread.
...not "workshop", but "Worksop" ( a geographic locale). Plenty of history on the internet on Raleigh in Worksop with Google.

The one common "upgrade" that was often done on those was to a lighter weight, aluminum cotterless crank, but I have ridden that era Super Course both ways, and cannot say whether I prefer one over the other. That's a nice one, with the paint still in pretty good shape. The suggesstion for fenders is a good one if you are going to keep it and ride it as your own. They have a following (that age of Super Course) because of the unbutted tubing (heavier, but also maybe a little stiffer for a bike with a longer wheel base like that), and the open, longer geometry that gives a smoother ride.

It has proprietary Raleigh threading, both in the headset and in the BB shell, so try not to damage anything in disassembly for lubrication. That stuff is getting harder to find now.