Old 10-27-17, 01:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 110 Posts
Yeah, about the same here. Paid about $100 for my comfort hybrid. More than doubled that cost with other stuff.

The original tires were too flat prone, and the replacements were $50 for the pair. Couple of replacement tubes, about $12-$15.

Then a spoke broke at the hub on the rear wheel. Warped the single wall rim. I figured it would keep happening so I could fritter away a few bucks at a time having the LBS replace them, or just buy a new wheel. I didn't have tools at the time so I bought the new double wall wheel, about $90. Might have saved a few bucks ordering one myself, but I'd also need some tools for the freewheel, etc.

Brake pads, about $20.

Replacement Shimano RevoShift grip shifter after one broke. Only $10 for the pair with cables, although they were cheap galvanized cables and low end cable housings.

Mirrycle, $15. Can't turn my head easily (old neck injury), so the mirror was a must.

Bontrager BackRack S rear rack, about $40. (Great rack, BTW, strong and versatile mounting options.)

Planet Bike rear rack blinky, $15.

I need to overhaul the original front hub, which feels just a bit gritty. And the MegaRange freewheel needs to be replaced -- those are cheap. New chain skips over the smaller cogs now. Probably should overhaul the bottom bracket and headset too.

And that's only the stuff more or less permanently attached to the bike. I'm not counting stuff I swap between three bikes, including headlights, video camera, helmet, tools, etc.

I'm considering selling the comfort hybrid now. Great bike my first year back in the saddle after a long hiatus, but I only use it for errands now and my flat bar hybrid can handle that chore. Haven't decided whether to include the Bontrager rack, offer it as an extra cost option, sell it separately or keep it for another compact frame bike. No expectation of selling it for more than I paid, but we'll see.