Old 10-29-17, 12:07 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
There are a lot of different winter conditions and just as many ways to deal with them; I've been experimenting with winter riding since 1999, and still don't think I have it right! Just a few ideas though...

Originally Posted by rachel120
I need gloves. Real gloves, not the fingerless cycling gloves. It took forever to thaw out my left thumb (figuratively, there was no frostbite).
Cheap gloves: Look for cheap mechanic's gloves with 40g Thinsulate at your local home improvement store. Good for warmer winter, and nice and grippy. The padded ones with Thinsulate at X-mart also work well, maybe into the mid-20s.

For real winter gloves, the best I've ever had are these Dakine gloves. They will go on sale for half price at some point. Waterproof, breathable, and comfy down to about 0F.

I need outdoor crew socks, my daily wear socks are cutesy and short and there was a bit of a gap where they started and the sweatpants stopped. And the tops of my shoes breathe a little too easy, the top of my feet and my toes were cold even though I wore two pairs of socks.
My personal favorite, since circa 2008: REI Expedition Socks But, they are thick. Otherwise, Smartwool stuff is nice; I have small feet so I save money by getting the children's sizes!

I highly recommend a winter boot for winter riding. If that looks too outdoorsy, real or fake leather dress boots (with a reasonable rubber sole) will also function.

Artificial wind chill from the speed of the bike seems like it will make a head and face covering required, unless I want a frostbitten nose.
How cold is it going to get? At a certain point (the point where a frostbitten nose may be a concern), it may also be helpful to have eye protection - sunglasses/safety glasses, or ideally, cheap ski goggles. A wool balaclava is a good way to cover skin; a cheaper remedy is to sew your own face cover out of the tube section of old wool socks

I'm also planning on full length leggings for under the sweatpants, right now I only have capri length. And thicker sweats and a thick sweatshirt for the top layer for colder temperatures, the thin sweats and thin jacket were just right for 39 degrees.
Two words: Cuddl Duds. Or, as others have mentioned, the fleece leggings from X-mart. Preferably, both. (My long underwear goes on...now...and stays on until early May!)

If you can get your hands on some merino wool layers, they are the best. Actual baselayers can be pricy; I tend to collect merino sweaters from ebay. Thrift shops are also recommended, if your local thrift shops carry such items in your size.