View Single Post
Old 10-30-17, 12:04 AM
Maelochs
Banned

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5449 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by cj19 View Post
I'll second the wise advice from MRT2.

It's a much smarter move to spend $750 on a solid entry level bike and establish a good relationship with you local bike shop.

Based on your comment that you'll be riding 90% road, look at a decent entry level road bike like a Giant Contend, Trek 1.2, Cannondale Synapse, etc.

If you really think you'll be riding both road and gravel, make sure you get tires at least 28mm wide or consider a cyclocross/gravel bike with drop bars.

Originally Posted by Clem von Jones View Post
The Fuji Roubaix Elite comes close (when it's on sale) with its Oval 724 wheelset. Entire bike at 15.5lbs. according to the Fuji website
Fuji Bikes | Roubaix Elite
Originally Posted by Boondocksaints View Post
I'd get a Bikes Direct Road Bike for $1,500 price range. Can't beat the value for the dollar they give.

[url=http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm]Save up to 60% off Road Bikes, Free Ship 48, Schwinn, GT, Kestrel, Fuji, Motobecane and more Road bikes. Authorized dealer for Schwinn, GT, Kestrel, Fuji, Motobecane, Mercier, Gravity, Dawes road bikes. Shimano Carbon Road Bikes, Titanium Road Bikes, http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm .
I quote these because they are about all the advice you need. If you are going to a bike store which only carries big-name bikes, those are some good places to start.

If you can put on wheel and handlebars and adjust brakes and shifters, BikeDirect ... spend about $600 now and in a year spend that $1500 when you know exactly what you want.

Fuji is Excellent value. I might recommend the Sportif/Gran Fondo range to start with ... you probably don’t need a super-racy bike as a first road bike.

The Only piece of advice I can actually add ...

Got to a lot of shops and ride a lot of bikes.

We can tell you what we like. Only you can figure out what really speaks to you.

Visit some shops, ride some bikes and you can come back here with more specific questions for Stage Two of the process.