View Single Post
Old 10-30-17, 01:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2950 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
@mstateglfr, this is great advice for someone who knows something about bikes or has the help of someone who does. IRL, I don't think it's that easy for someone who doesn't know anything about bikes to sort through all the listings on CL to find a good one. Also, the new bike market is always changing so you may not even be able to find what you are looking for on CL. For example, I know a lot about bikes and have been looking for a bike that satisfies my wife's requirements (women's specific endurance geometry, disk brakes, 105 level components, and clearance for 32c tires) for six months and have not seen a single one her size in the Chicago market. I normally buy used bikes for myself, but there are valid reasons for a new rider to get a new bike. Even if you do end up finding a used bike, you can learn a lot by visiting several bike shops.
For sure- visiting a few shops is great. And yes, CL poses a greater risk of being screwed over, but ive found that in the $300-500 range for modern bikes(at least around me...and chicago) that isnt typical. I typically see entry level bike shop road bikes that sold for $750-1000 that people either want to sell to upgrade or want to sell because they werent used.

As for your wife's bike- thats a pretty specific list and though its surprising Chicago CL hasnt netted anything in half a year, i would say her list of needs is much more specific than the OP's.
Your wife needs disc brakes, 32c tires, at least 105 components, and women's fit. Thats significantly more specific than 'modern road bike with Sora to 105 components'.
I just looked- took all of 3min, and found 4 bikes with Sora on Chicago CL in varying size that look clean and ready to ride. 5'5" - 6-3" for size ranges between the bikes and priced from $290 to $550.

I totally get that the specifics your wife requires is going to make finding something a lot more difficult.

But hey- there is more than one way to skin a cat, right?