View Single Post
Old 10-31-17, 01:55 PM
georgek54

Bikes: 80's Eddy Merckx, Scott Addict, Felt tri-bike (all custom parts) Rocky Mountain Team Only Pro mountain bike, Kulana Cruiser, 6KU single/fixie, 1950 Schwinn Panther rat rod cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lakerat
I bought a pair of Velocity Deep V laced to Phil Wood track hubs and inquired here about what color frame would go with the orange rims. The best suggestion was a similar (as I imagined it) blue as your frame. The thinking was like Gulf GT40 race cars. After pondering a new frame to build around the orange rim wheelset, I put them on my current fixed build, a light metallic green KHS Turbo and the combination looks great.

Then I had to figure out what to do with the wheels that came off the KHS Turbo bike and then I built a favorite fixed gear on a 1980 Trek 750 frame that has semi horizontal dropouts with successful use of magic gear. The wheels are wonderful with a first generation Dura Ace hub in front (overkill 36 spokes) and Nashbar flip flop laced with DT double butted spokes and Mavic Open Pro rims. The bike rides like a dream.

Soon after putting a Phil Wood bottom bracket on the KHS and dialing in the chain line, I borrowed the brake off of it to test on the new Trek build. The Trek rides so nice I haven't ridden the KHS since. I aligned the KHS fork but a proper brake hasn't popped up.
I would love to see a pic, sounds awesome. Please check out "Undefeated LeMans Edition @ DAN fixed gear on You Tube, it is a gorgeous color scheme like you initially mentioned.