View Single Post
Old 11-01-17, 07:04 AM
Estacado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hcgaloi
I've recently started cycling for fitness. After purchasing 8 different new and used bikes without any luck. So I decided to build one myself starting with a frame set.

In April, I got a good deal on a 2011 Colnago CX-1 Evo frameset. Then, I spent over two months buying a Dura Ace 9100 mechanical groupset piece-by-piece from various online stores in Europe (ProBikeKit, Merlin Cycles, RibbleCycles, etc.). I was waiting for at least %40 sale and 10%-15% promo codes, and if I could, I waited for the dollar to get strong to take advantage of exchange rates, before I made a purchase. In the end, the groupset cost ~$950, and the whole bike cost ~$1200.

Since you have a small budget, you may want to look into Ultegra or 105 groupset. However, you may want to look for a frameset first.

Good luck

A tip of my hat to you. I would not feel comfortable building up a bike right now. I am still looking. This is a one time shot so I want to get the most bike for the money. Whatever I buy, I will ride till the wheels fall off. Someone has mentioned that there would possibly be better deals the deeper we get into winter. Do you or don't you?