Thread: 2017 Tall Boy?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-17, 07:01 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2007 Torelli Corsa Strada, 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the shop no longer had the R alum build in stock. What they did have was a demo Carbon 29er XE build. So what the hell, I'm there, so I rode it, and if I happened to have $2200 more to spend on a MTB bike, I would've bought the damn thing immediately.

Let me first say that I've never ridden a carbon MTB before. Nor have I really ridden a 1x before aside from the short test ride I did on the alum version. Christ, my SL is a triple. That said, this is a sick bike, at least for me.

I took it out for ~45 minutes on some decent trails near the shop. Again, not the version I can afford or planned on riding, but Jesus this bike is extremely nimble, extremely fast, and almost felt like an extension of my arms and feet: uphill, descending, cornering, jumping and braking, it was right on the money every time. No pedal strikes. Not even close I don't think. And after 5 years on my relatively sloppy SL, this rig is REALLY stiff. I also learned that I clearly need to learn how to use a dropper the right way.

Honestly, it was more bike than I need, and I think I'll end up ordering the R alum build and be extremely happy. But damn, the carbon version of this bike is really nice. Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts.