View Single Post
Old 01-03-06, 07:18 PM
tphelps
Vegan Cyclist

Bikes: Pinarello (2002), Specialized Allez Compe (2000), Specialized Expedition (1983), Zebrakenko Touring (1983), Specialized M-4 Stumpjumper (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone toured in the Philippines?

Later this year I will be traveling (from the U.S.) to the Philippines for an extended stay (work related). I will be based in Laguna Province, but will have time for extensive traveling throughout the islands. I plan to take at least one bike (touring bike) and maybe a second (a road bike). I'm also taking self-contained touring gear so that I can tour when the opportunity presents itself. I will not be cycling anywhere near Metro Manila as that would be suicidal. However, the islands generally have a pretty good network of roads (somewhat crowded in some areas), and English is the second language in most regions. This is an extremely colorful and hospitable country, but I've only heard of one report years ago of anyone cycle touring there. (And yes, I am familiar with Abu Syef! ) Has anyone had the opportunity to tour the Philippines and could you offer advice/suggestions?

Ted Phelps
Central Valley, CA