Old 11-07-17, 01:14 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Review of the VP R73-T pedal:
These are solid. First, they are made of metal, which is pretty much unobtainium these days in step-in road pedals as far as I can tell, and I like that. I was hesitant as they are LOOK KEO compatible, because I had some KEO's back in the day a bit and they had slop right out of the box at the cleat/pedal connection which only got worse as the composite pedal body inevitably wore down. TheseVP are rock solid, with no slop. Came with the fixed position cleat, which is proper for the intended demographic: sprinters.
I experimented with both a single strap in the rear position and a double strap. The single strap felt good, but I could feel some flex in my shoe on standing efforts, so I went back to the doubles, though I know they are overkill for all 75kgs of me. My shoes are trad style DMT's, so if you have much stiffer shoes like Bonts a single would be fine.
These were around ¥10,000 over here, which is cheap in a competition pedal. Excellent fit and finish, the bearings feel silky. These came with straps which actually look useable (they are laminated with the plastic center sandwich) but the straps are not as thick as an NJS strap. With the supplied strap, you will want to use a small zip tie for insurance to keep it from sliding in the mount slots when tightening down, with NJS they are just the right thickness to stay put as-is. Highly recommended if you're a sprinter looking for a pedal set up to take straps in the correct spot.
Some photos from my Instagram: