View Single Post
Old 11-07-17, 08:32 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Having used a G810 (14 mos), Wahoo Bolt (4 mos) and now a G1000, I'd say the Bolt is a good unit, but doesn't do navigation as well as a Garmin. I liked the ability to get a RWGPS route sent wirelessly to the Bolt, but in truth, a Garmin Connect route/course, works as well. The maps on a color screen are easier to read then the B&W of a Wahoo, with the color screen offering more detail. As well, I had issues reading the Bolt navigation section, which on the data screen is white text on black background. I had to remove my (non polarized) sunglasses to read the text. As well, the Garmin system of switching to a map screen at a set distance before a turn, as well as having the turn info on that map, makes it easier to navigate, IMO.

It kind of comes down to do you want some basic navigation and a a good cycling computer ?. The Bolt does that as well as anything. The B&W screen of the Element is larger and offers a better map size, but still in B&W. The larger Elemnt is the same price as a G1000 currently, so kind of makes it a no-brainer as the 1000 is the king for navigation. $350 for a 1000 vs. $600 for a 1030, a unit that is still plagued with issues, also helps that decision.