Old 11-10-17, 05:49 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I would take either. My take on trainers is that they are great for doing the workouts as they are, but will never be like getting out on the road, although I haven't tried the smart trainers. I've been using a Cycleops Fluid 2 off and on for a number of years now and the promise is a "more road like" feel. It is a perfectly good trainer, but it doesn't feel like the road, and when I would go outside after training indoors all winter, I wouldn't really be ready. That said, I've also upped the game a bit with sensors so I can do Zwift and Sufferfest with virtual power and I'm finding that a lot more effective when I go outside, even on my commuter bike. I'm not the guy everyone passes on the Manhattan Bridge anymore, in fact I'm the one passing everyone else now.

So to answer your question with a question, will either of those features make you a better rider? And will the climb unit make it more comfortable to stand and mash so you can do it longer? That's one area I'd like to see improved as standing on my trainer is awkward.