View Single Post
Old 11-13-17, 08:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I've developed a way that works for me on cup-and-cone bearing hubs. I have a Park AV-4 axle vise that I clamp in my bench vise. As noted, have one side's cones and locknuts fully tight and work from the other side only.

After cleaning, lubing and reassembling the hub I clamp the fixed side axle stub firmly in the axle vise. I finger tighten the cone against the balls and finger tighten the locknut against the cone. Spin the wheel several times to distribute the new grease and seat the balls in their track.

Now, place your thumb and index finger spanning the dust cap/hub shell seam and wiggle the rim. If there is a significant play, tighten the cone slightly. If there is no play, back the cone off slightly. Keep adjusting until you can feel a very slight amount of play and tighten the locknut fully while holding the cone stationary. Check that the slight play is still there and refine the settings by tightening the locknut more or backing off the cone against the stationary locknut until every thing is tight but the small play remains. As you approach "perfection" the adjustments become very small, perhaps only a degree or two of cone or locknut rotation.

I find that once I have the hub adjusted in the axle vise with this small (and I do mean small)l amount of play, the wheel has no play at the rim when installed in the dropouts but spins very freely and will "pendulum" several times as it comes to a stop.

Last edited by HillRider; 11-13-17 at 08:07 AM.