Old 11-14-17, 12:28 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Keep in mind that I use German online stores to buy just about all my stuff(except for the bike(s) themselves), so I get great prices, but I have to deal with their flat rate of postage which is about 20Euro, whether you buy one tyre or 20 tyres.

So when I bought a heap of accessories and whatever, the unit cost savings made the postage cost effectively irrelevant.

There has been the odd time when Chain Reaction or Wiggle or Evans Cycles made more sense, but usually the Germans for me.

Because I really hate changing flat tyres, I went for Schwalbe's Marathon Mondials, where I got the 50mm 29" tyres for 31.01 Euro's.(You need to be logged in to the site to see the price LESS the 19% VAT, which won't apply to American orders).

The Mondials are Schwalbe's 2nd best anti-puncture tyres and close to their longest wearing tyre.

As a folding tyre, it is also easier to get on to the rim than the wired Marathon Plus tyres, which whilst they do provide a bit more puncture protection, are also about 200grams per tyre heavier and aren't as fast.

If you still value flat protection but are more concerned with speed, you could consider either the Schwalbe Marathon Almotion for 25.13 Euro, or the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme for 31.01 Euro

Now throw in some tubes you may need, some brake pads, handlebar grips, pedals etc, and you will find you have got a great deal overall, despite the flat postage cost.
I like the idea of tubeless.. can you go tubeless with these? The tires that come with the ToughRoad are Tubeless I believe..

I do want flat protection + speed