Old 11-15-17, 03:41 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Trek, 6x Peugeots, Specialized, Nishiki, bike friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motobecane Grand Sprint

Here's a Grand Sprint I picked up on cl recently. It seems similar to the orange one in this article, so I'm guessing it's around 1978.
1978 Motobecane Grand Sprint, C2 Vintage Road Bike Review

It has the original 27" wheels and has a 6-speed freewheel (when did 6-spd arrive?). Unfortunately, the seat-tube tubing sticker has come off, although the article says Vitus 172 for 1978. Unlike the article, my forks never had a tubing sticker. The shifters and derailleurs are Shimano, and the crank has the Motobecane decals.

It has a 52cm seat tube, but 57cm top tube (those crazy French!), so I'm thinking I can make this work for me. My ideal size is 56cm, but all my other 56's have equal seat and top tubes. If there's some reason a long seatpost will fubar the riding and fit geometry, please speak up before I do my usual full restoration and money sink (e.g. cables, pads, and in this case calipers, tires, wheels, seatpost, bars, leather saddle). I have restored many Peugeots, so I know what I'm getting into.

Can anyone help date this or give me any insight into the frame or anything other points of interest? Oh yeah, serial #55144