View Single Post
Old 11-15-17, 08:23 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cpg View Post
Sorry to hear that, find a good TIG welder and get it fixed.
I did this with my old Dahon Mu XL when I noticed a crack starting across the joint between the frame tube and head tube. First I watched it for a while to be sure it was growing. I stripped the clear finish off the area and disassembled the frame and then had my brother-in-law TIG weld it. I re-sprayed the clear varnish. It's been about 3 years and the joint still appears solid.
Steve

EDIT: Hahahaha! I didn't realize I was responding to a 3-year-old post. Oh, well. The titanium Swift is beautiful!
I went Ti in 2001 when I bought my Airborne Carpe Diem, sight-unseen. It has been a delightful bike, and will probably last me the rest of my life. I'd love a titanium commuter bike. Years ago, before the Dahon/Tern schism, I heard from a reliable source that there was a Titanium Dahon model in the works with a frame made by Airborne. Airborne ceased to exist , and the Ti folder never appeared AFAIK.

Last edited by sweeks; 11-15-17 at 08:49 PM.