seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
Two cycle engine oil and gasoline mixture works great. Provides a lube film and clean your chain at the same time. I have tried Dave Moulton's novel technique and it works very well.
Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - A different way to lube a*chain
A safer and less costly alternative is any motor oil diluted with mineral spirits. Two-cycle oil normally costs 10-40x as much as motor oil. There's no advantage to 2-cycle oil over the cheaper, more readily available 4-cycle automotive engine oil for the purpose of bicycle chain lubrication and rust prevention.

Originally Posted by Machoman121
I tried the chain saw oil...
Eight-year-old thread.

I'd never use chainsaw bar oil on my bike chain - it's viscous and sticky and more likely to retain dirt particles constantly flung from the front tire onto chain as it rounds the crank. Save the bar oil for your Husqvarna/Stihl saw, and get some good full-coverage fenders with front mud flap for your bike.

Read post #4, then try a mixture of any common motor oil (whatever you use in your motor vehicle) diluted with mineral spirits (found in paint section of hardware store or walmart) at approximately 1:5 ratio. Apply mixture sparingly, then you're less likely to have oil droplets on your chainstay and garage floor. Reapply at regular, frequent intervals for best results.

Does lubricant prevent chain rust?