Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Glad this was brought up.

A couple of observations:

(1) The conversation on chain wear is almost entirely focused on stretch and ignores roller wear and/or roller-to-cog wear. I suspect that this is in part because stretch is more easily measured and that roller-to-cog wear usually happens at a slower rate.

(2) Another thread made the observation that sediments at the bottom of solvent jars used to clean chains is magnetic. In my experience, this gunk is almost exclusively made of metal particles -- I was able to remove all sediments from a jar using rare earth magnets. So the argument that the stretch part of wear is caused by road dirt appears to be questionable.

(3) I can see how sand can wreak havoc in no time on cogs and rollers, especially if silica particulates are "glued" to the drivetrain by thick oil. As @FBinNY observes, one strategy is to rely on high viscosity lubricants to care for the pin-plate interface, and to wipe excess oil to prevent gunk from sticking to the outside (roller and cogs). But then, the chain would run dry over the chainrings and sprockets and would wear at a faster rate than it would if it were lubricated. One approach might be to use a complementary lubrication method for cassettes and chainrings. Another might be to let the rollers run as dry as possible on the cogs on the basis that wear rates are low and that lubrication will not change things significantly.
Or use a dry friction modifier to coat the chain. Atm Im having fun experimenting, dissolving molybdenum paste in benzine ("petrol") and applying it to my 1sp bike. Doesn't seem to attract much dirt at all and runs just fine for now. I did try the "oil and wipe" method for a while. It newer seemed to work for me. I always got a gritty chain soom after applying oil. I have experienced the same magnetic gunk from the chain, but Im still convinced the wear is caused by sand trapped in the oil. In any case MCs with closed chain cases does exist and they get "10x" the milage compared to an open chain drive.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 11-20-17 at 12:09 PM.